Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Zero Comments

)this image is from a shack in dawson..it was freezing and windy and that lace curtain was blowing up like a ghost. i feel all the dawson ghosts when i go there. i made a video of this - it's better than the static shot b/c you can hear the wind and see this lace GHOST. i uh...also entered it in a Yukon Heritage photo contest and it won THE BRONZE in the professional category. So hilarious. I haven't won things since i was a kid...and even then it was like a balloon toss between me and my brother at my DRY GRAD (we both won gift certificates to AB Sound so i bought a bunch of cassette tapes..stuff like that...well, i won art contests, too anyways......i guess getting grants qualifies as 'winning'..it's a lottery, afterall. Being an artist is like playing the lottery. Everyday of your life. Even when you don't believe in it).


i just made a small installation in my small room for a friend who is going through a hard time. it's the white rabbit fur pelt, a big rock i dragged home - gold tinged - some tiny shells and coral from an Asian beach from said friend, a pair of Norwegian sandals* that i know will bring good times (they have to), a furry crocus i found on my walk today..i held it in my cupped hand for as long as i could. i felt like i was holding a fragile caterpillar. I put it in my pocket and forgot about it. It is in the shrine now. I always feel bad picking flowers - especially when there are so few around the Yukon right now.

the weekly here is called: What's Up Yukon? For real. So it's joke after joke: WAZZUPP-YOUKON??
The Yukon News is better. It's more classic in design: black and white with occasional flashes of red coverlines. Two covers have made to my book wall: an eerie photo of a dark wolf crossing the highway staring directly at the camera and a bearded man during the coldest spell all winter. He is all furry frost. It's a beautiful image.

Good Things About Here:
  • the city picks up the compost. One week is compost. One week is garbage. There's a big sign up on the main drag to remind everyone (i just noticed it. whoops). Most people are diligent about recycling. the local cafe (w/ a name so dumb i won't type it out) offers compostible 'To Go' cups. There is even compost at the Canada Games Centre's pool change rooms - for paper towels!
  • the ravens are everywhere. They communicate with 20-30 different sounds. I always stop to listen to them talking. It's like listening to water trickling or bubbling. They are the size of small dogs.
  • The parking meters take nickels and dimes.
(but not for much longer)

  • i can't get over the skies. i can't get over the light. i can't stop talking about it. it's getting dark at eleven. i should just sleep on the front lawn. i should throw my bed down there. i want to stare at its beautiful deep blue midnite gown navy streaked light luminescence all night long. I don't even bother with the blinds anymore. I sit and gaze out the window.

hmm..that's all i can think of for now...i'll add to my list. oh yeah. there are a few yoga teachers i really like. i've learned new things from them. i like going to different teachers and picking up their strong points. that goes for everything.

there are some really neat people who live here. i am grateful for my new friends.
my grandfather has apparently completely pulled through his heart surgery. jean - his 2nd wife called and left an excited Scottish message: YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE IT!
honest to god..my grandpa..he's a miracle. I've been listening to him for the last 20 years telling me from his lazy-boy chair with lifted wine glass:

"I'm ready for the ashcan".

(about a 100 times)

He's had so many freak accidents...he is a miracle.

I just watched TOOTSIE. That movie seriously rules. it's a real women's libber kinda movie.
ciao for now,
s

PS *they're insane, the sandals: like hippie -working -in -health -food -store-slash-dominatrix i hate that word ugh..typing it out even..There are certain words or names that i don't even want to expend the energy typing out. funny how that works. so it's like this: DON'T.

1 comment:

girlyhandwriting said...

I bee catching up on your blog entries. I am lovin every minute of it. B Spears, Madonna, the lights of the Yukon...

1 COMMENT

I am drinking mint tea and watching 'The Wonder Years.' I need to update my blog, but I feel like DUH.

basement studio with monster hiding in the corner

basement studio with monster hiding in the corner

Ahlers

going on about Random Avenue, friends, art (maybe), rock (sometimes), movies, current events, childhood memories & other things like bunnies